Friday, July 9, 2010

June 28

Hey everyone!

I'm happy to report another fabulous week in the great state of Texas. The big event of this past week was my birthday on Friday, and it was celebrated by two even bigger events- the baptisms of Sister B.P. (a sweet elderly woman the Elders have been teaching) and Little Mr. J (sweet 9 year old boy Sis. Mapa and I have been teaching). It was an awesome day, and since I'll only celebrate one birthday out here in the mission field, I suppose I'll tell y'all all about it!

The day before my birthday we had zone conference (training conference w/ 1/3 of the missionaries in T.H.E. mission). After the conference we were served lunch by local members and everyone sang to me- it's embarrassing and delightful to be sung "Happy Birthday" by such a large group. That evening we went to a local member's home to teach a lesson on missionary work. Sister C.S. had made me german chocolate cake! with candles! and presents! She gave Sis. Mapa presents too and had us both blow out the candles which I loved, because it was fun to do it together!

Sis. Mapa and I have (as previously reported) been fighting plenty of illness between the two of us and the past couple of weeks have not been able to utilize our morning exercise time very well. That means when we both felt well enough to go walking at 6:30 a.m. on my birthday- I was very excited :) While walking there was lots of thunder, which I love, and Sis. Mapa witnessed a woodpecker pecking for the first time. So fun! We came back to the apt. and I opened the pkg. from my parents, and the card from my grandparents. Thanks Mom and Dad for the 3/4 sleeve cardigans, brownie mix, candles and card! Thanks for the card and birthday money Grandma and Grandpa! I also really enjoyed the papers inserted to my birthday card signed by many of my cousins, aunts and uncles w/ birthday wishes. I felt very loved and can't even express how much I love and appreciate you all! Sis. Mapa made me eggs and toast for breakfast, and we went about our morning schedule of getting ready and enjoying personal and companionship study as usual. (Sis. Mapa french braided my hair for me during comp study too!)

By 10:00 a.m. we left the apt. to go give service at the Senior Center in Montbelvieu (Sp?). We do that every week, but usually on Wednesdays. We helped hang children's artwork from a 4th of July art contest, and when we were done- Miss L, the S.C. director invited us to stay for their Friday lunch. It was catered delicious food and they were actually celebrating the birthdays for the month so had cake and wished me happy birthday too! Before heading to the church for a luau farewell party for a member of our ward getting ready to leave for school at BYU Hawaii, we stopped by Elders Jex and Christensen's apt. (the Baytown Spanish speaking elders). They called and said they had something for me. When they answered their door, they were wearing "N*Sync" party hats, holding a cake, and singing"happy birthday" to me. It was hilarious and awesome. The luau party was fun and we were able to visit with several local members and support our friend who is leaving. As Sis. Mapa and I tried to duck out quietly, we were stopped so they could all sing "happy birthday" to me. More fun embarrassment :)

We then enjoyed knocking on doors in the heat and humidity. We talked to quite a few people, and one was very kind and interested so we'll be visiting him and his wife again soon. Then it was time to head to the church to fill up the baptismal font as Miss B.P.'s baptismal service started at 5:30 and the elders wouldn't be able to make it to the church in time to fill the font. We started the water and practiced the musical number for her baptism. For her service, I sang "Learn of Me" accompanied by Sis. Mapa on the piano. It wasn't perfect, but it went really well. The Spirit was so strong throughout her service, and she is so happy to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. Jacob's service was held at 7:00 and also went very well. He was so happy and excited. His father was able to baptize him and it was a very special evening for his family. Our bishop's sweet wife Sis. C, sent me home w/ a vase of white roses for my birthday as well. (They smell just like my favorite roses in my backyard at home in UT!!)

Miss B.P. and Mr. J were both confirmed as members this Sunday and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Ms. B and her grandmother Sister H both attended all 3 hours of church yesterday and loved every minute! She is happily progressing and preparing for baptism and we are so happy to be a part of it. Miracles are happening here in Baytown every single day. This is truly the Lord's work and while it is exhausting and challenging, I love it with all my heart! I love you all so very much!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment