Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Storytime!

I'm hoping to write a more interesting email this week- I took notes throughout the week of things I wanted to share that y'all might find interesting. We'll see how it goes :)
Today (being Preparation Day) we were able to go down South in our area to Cameron. A member of our ward took us down there... where she lived before hurricane Rita. Storms have shaped the area in the past few years and many of its former residents have moved further North. We visited the beach and were given a mini-tour of the area by Sister Trahan. She is so fabulous. On our way back up to Lake Charles, we stopped at a wildlife refuge and got to see lots of turtles, alligators and other wildlife. Good times!
The past couple of weeks I keep forgetting to mention the bugs of Louisiana. My companions don't get bit much, but true to my lifelong habits- I'm apparently doing something to make insects and spiders love me! The first semi-warm day we had here, I came home with my legs covered in bites. It hasn't been quite that bad since, but I think I get at least one new bite a day. Some of them get pretty swollen, like the spider bite I woke up with a couple days ago. I have not yet been poisoned or come down with any infectious diseases though, and I hope to keep it that way. As far as itch relief goes, "Chiggerex" cream is my new best friend! I keep it in my purse.
I'd like to share with all of you some incredibly embarrassing moments from my mission thus far. I hope you find them as amusing as my companions do :) After a district meeting, the missionaries in my district decided to go to IHOP for lunch. While waiting for the food, I needed to go to the restroom and quickly hopped up and waltzed right into the men's room... I was in long enough for two men to look at me like a nutcase... then hurried out with a bright red face and started laughing hysterically with the missionaries at my table. I then ran to the ladies' room to finish my original plan and started feeling really stupid. Sister Stott came in to check on me and comforted me, and Sister Miller stayed at the table to inform all the other missionaries (all of which are male) that they had better not bring it up after I returned to the table. I have the best companions :D This past week, I waltzed out of the ladie's room with my skirt completely tucked up in back! Sister Miller noticed quickly and I was able to fix it.... I'm pretty sure only two other strangers at Dan's BBQ noticed... and I'll hopefully never see them again? I need to be much more careful at public restrooms!!!
As of this Monday, I am now authorized to drive our mission owned vehicle. It has been adventure. Having not driven for 9 weeks and not being familiar with our car or the area... my companions have plenty of opportunities for learning patience. I'm quickly improving though, and we have survived so far! They plan to have me drive for at least a week straight before we start rotating drivers again.
We have lots of fun tracting in lots of different weather. Rain or sun, we know the joy our message can bring and love being able to share it! We went contacting at the park last Saturday and enjoyed some perfect weather! It's also been fascinating to have so many creepy/entoxicated/old men ask us to be their girlfriends and such. It's definitely the most unwanted male attention I've had in all my life.
EXCITING NEWS: Miss B.A. has also decided to be baptized! She is our neighbor- lives in our apartment complex and has been meeting with missionaries for quite some time. It's been a long time coming, and we are so excited for her decision. Her baptism is currently scheduled for April 10th :) The evening we committed her to baptism was so awesome, and it was such a sweet experience to feel the Spirit working through us. I often find myself saying things I've never thought of before and get excited to realize how true and powerful the words are!
Miss B. is also doing wonderfully. We are able to serve her and husband in their home each week as they're re-doing flooring. She finds herself having to defend our religion to many of her close friends and others. She actually enjoys standing up for it, and the peace she's found as she has let God lead her through this journey. The stories she shares about it with us are absolutely fabulous. She is such a rock! She is still scheduled to be baptized on March 27th.
I'm so excited to be staying here in Lake Charles for at least one more 6 week period! Sister Stott, Sister Miller and I were not transferred this past weekend. We are thrilled to continue to serve together and move the Lord's work along in this area. Sister Stott will then be going home- this is her last transfer. Home for her is Layton, UT. Sister Miller will be on her mission until October. We each represent a different phase of the mission: beginning, middle, and the end. Each of us are able to use our unique perspective to strengthen our companionship and enhance the Lord's work. Sister Miller is from Springville, UT.
I love you all!! Send mail! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment