Thursday, February 18, 2010

Les bon temps roulez!

It's quite the time of year to be living in Louisiana! It has indeed been quite a bit colder than is typical, but we've managed to stay warm most of the time, and continue in the Lord's work all of the time. The only snow we saw was while driving across the Texas border, and of course it wasn't sticking. We've heard all about the snow further North in Louisiana though, and across the country. Crazy stuff!

Not only has the weather been different, but we've been able to witness some historical/cultural events in the few weeks I've been here. The Saints winning the Super Bowl was a huge deal! We didn't watch it, but spent part of that time at a member's home baking cookies for our neighbors, then delivered them with notes. We were teaching an investigator during the ending of it, and the neighborhood we were at went crazy when they won! We couldn't tell if they were happy or mad at first (not knowing the result of the game), but we were able to decipher the drunken yelling eventually. Very exciting stuff for Louisiana.

The other big event was Mardi Gras! We didn't really participate in that either, but we were able to eat our share of King Cake, see some cool floats that drove by, and enjoy the festive spirit of the holiday. We also successfully avoided the less moral activities and were able to productively go about the Lord's work. Life as a missionary is fascinating :)

Random Information I forgot to include in previous emails:

1-I chopped my hair while in the MTC! I'd cut a few inches before I left on my mission, and then a few more the week before leaving the MTC. I mostly just decided I didn't have time to deal with my hair. Those of you who already thought I looked like my mom, will think so even more when you see pictures. Even I can see the resemblance with the new haircut. It will also be nice once it gets hot down here.

2-I wake up on time almost every morning and pretty much never use the snooze button more than once. This will be a shocker to anyone who has ever lived with me. (For stories of my past waking up habits, feel free to ask my parents or any former roommates.) It's been such a blessing and gift from my Heavenly Father to not struggle with that as much as I was expecting to.

I am loving the Lord's work and being a missionary. I face major challenges every day, but am constantly a witness to countless small miracles and tender mercies of the Lord. I know God lives and loves us each so much!

Feel free to ask questions about things I may leave out. It's hard to remember to include everything I want or think you may want to know!

I love you all!! (REALLY I DO!!!)

*~Sister Pilmer~*

No comments:

Post a Comment